Thursday, July 3, 2014

CUTWORMS

Cutworms
I encountered my first cutworm in May 2014 when I began working the ground in preparation for planting my tomatoes. Unlike the little green cabbage looper, there is nothing cute about a cutworm.

Cutworms are actually not worms at all. They are moth larvae that hide in the soil during the day and come out in the dark to feed on plants. Since larvae usually attack the first part of the plant they encounter, which is the stem, and 'cut it down', they are called cutworms.

There are actually a variety of different species of adult moths whose larvae are considered cutworms. Different species vary in color and can be solid, spotted and striped. When they are not moving they tend to curl into a circle. Supposedly, tomatoes and bell peppers are among their favorite plants to attack, so keep a closer eye on those.

An easy way to keep cutworms from getting to the base of your plants is to collar them. I took plastic cups, cut them in half and wedged them over my newly planted tomatoes.

An easy way to keep cutworms from "cutting off" the stems of your plants is to collar your plan

No comments:

Post a Comment