Tuesday, April 1, 2014

LETTUCES & OTHER COOL SEASON VEGGIES GROW WELL DURING FEBRUARY, MARCH & APRIL IN LAS VEGAS


Lettuce beds are growing and ready for harvest! The lettuce seeds I started in December and planted in the beginning of February have all done great. Early spring here in Las Vegas is a great time for growing lettuces!

Lettuce bed planted beginning of February 2014 after starting seeds indoors.


In the top left picture below, you can see the same lettuce bed just 6 weeks later. The pictures below were taken on March 13, 2014. I also have basil growing in a planter box as well as beets, kohlrabi, thyme, carrots, calendula, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower and green onions growing in the back garden.

March 13, 2014

April 24, 2014

You can see how great everything is doing! I have not had the birds eat anything this time around (though I have plenty of bird netting on hand in case they start). I have, however, had little green caterpillars eating holes throughout the leaves of various lettuce and vegetable plants as seen in the picture below. I read that they are most active in the morning, and that is the best time to scout for them. I look for them on the backside of the leaves with holes throughout them.




No comments:

Post a Comment